Salbutes are among the richest dishes I remember from my first visit to Yucatan, in Mexico. More than dishes, in the case of salbutes can be spoken of snacks. That is, it is possible to eat only one or two, or on the contrary, eat ten.
Recipe of salbutes, step by step
To prepare this recipe for cooking, we will need Freshly made corn tortillas. To take charge of this ingredient, I recommend you use our corn tortilla recipe.
Once the tortilla dough is ready, we'll have to fry it in lard. In fact, we will get an appetizer quite similar to panuchos, but in this case, without beans.
The most common salbutes are prepared with turkey, cochinita pibil, or with chicken. In this case, we will prepare a recipe for salbutes with chicken.
Photo: Flickr, Creative Commons license, by Krista p>
Yucatec salbutes, traditional recipe
Recipe easy cooking, explained step by step, to prepare some very traditional salbutes like those of the best kitchens of Yucatan.The longer we leave it in the marinade, the more flavor it will absorb. Ideally, leave it at least one hour.
Meanwhile, we can use to disinfect the leaves of lettuce. I put them to soak with water and vinegar. Then we will pass them through fresh water, drain them and cut them into julienne.
In In the case of tomatoes, we will wash them well and cut them into wheels. We will also peel the half onion and cut it into slices.
To prepare the carrots, You can take advantage of the time the chicken takes to marinate, and peel and cook them in hot salted water. I prefer to cut them on wheels before cooking them, so they are ready more quickly.
In the case of avocado, you simply have to cut the flesh into thin slices.
If you decide to use the cucumber, you just have to peel it and cut it into very thin slices. I cut each slice in half, so it takes up less space. In fact, this ingredient is not so characteristic of the traditional recipe of salbutes, but I really like the freshness it brings to the dish.
Retrieve the marinated breast for roasting on a griddle, griddle or pan. When it is ready, we will unravel it or unravel it in filaments, with the help of a couple of forks.
Then, we will take the corn dough we have prepared with the tortilla recipe from Comedera.com, and we will make the traditional round shape of each tortilla, helping with a rolling pin or press.
Then, heat a little lard in a large skillet and fry the tortillas until they are golden brown and begin to swell .
When removing them from the pan, I prefer to place them in a dish covered with a sheet of absorbent paper, to remove excess fat.
We will prepare each salbute placing some chicken on ch a tortilla, accompanied by onion, tomato, lettuce, avocado and carrot and optionally, with a half slice of cucumber.
Tips for some salbutes with much more flavor
- To add even more flavor to the onion, you can marinate it from the previous day with vinegar, in a covered container.
- If you do not have lard of animal origin, you can use vegetable oil to fry the tortillas. There are those who use a mixture of both ingredients.
- There are those who instead of preparing the Yucatec-style chicken, with oranges and annatto, use a simpler one, similar to the recipe for chicken tinga. li>
- If you do not get purple onions, you can use white onions, but do your best to get the first one, because it truly gives the dish a distinctive flavor.
- Some people prefer to replace cut lettuce for cabbage or cabbage, chopped in the same way.
- It is always advisable to serve the salbutes accompanied by habanero chili sauce, the most typical of the Yucatan region and one of the hottest in Mexico.